Labor Day Weekend 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The vaccine dilema

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate...that is the question.

Or so it seems. It's an ongoing debate in my head for Keller. I mean I was vaccinated and I seem to be doing fine, but then again, I have asthma, chronic sinus issues and obviously some issues with my immune system. But then on the other had, I was vaccinated with the schedule from 1984.

Here is what I mean by that. In 1984, children received ELEVEN shots of vaccines from birth until age 16. These vaccines covered Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, (DTP now DTaP), Oral attenuated Poliovirus (OPV now IPV), MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) and then the Td (adult tetanus).

http://www.generationrescue.org/pdf/cdc1983.pdf

Now, children receive anywhere between THIRTY and FIFTY shots for a NORMAL CHILD! You have GOT to be kidding me. Were we doing THAT bad back in 1984? Seriously...think about it some and give the skeptics some credit. We can't honestly believe that tripling the number of times you stick an infant, child, adolescent with a needle containing...what? did YOU read the label? I really don't even know if our doctors read the labels considering the way they learn about the vaccine is thru the drug rep who sells it to their clinic....will improve our children's health?

http://www.aap.org/sections/infectdis/IZSchedule_Childhood.pdf

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy, I really do think that most people in the medical field are working for our benefit and considering the limited education many of them received (limited not meaning stupid, limited as in, "western medicine is better than God, better than anything else ever" limited), they just don't know any better. Medicine does not make you healthy. Medicine allows you to live a normal life and work towards getting healthy while being sick. It also prevents you from getting more sick in some cases, allowing your body to heal and get better.

But back to vaccines. I realize that we needed them 100 years, even 50 years ago. But where was our public health 50 years ago? And better yet, where was our emergency care 50 years ago? The accessibility alone of basics such as antifungals, antibacterials, bandages, cortisone creams and other topicals is how many times better than 50 years ago? So how, in a society that has an obviously more advance medical system than we did in 1980, need THREE TIMES as many shots to create the same amount of immunity to diseases?

Another area I don't understand, is WHY CAN'T MY CHILD JUST GET THE DARNED CHICKEN POX?!!! What is wrong with the chicken pox??? Vaccinating your kids against chicken pox only INCREASES YOUR own risk of getting shingles! So why the dickens would we do this?
The only real answer I can come up with is money. The drug reps want money and how do they make money? By getting consumers (us) to use their products...well they created a new product to stop chicken pox, well lucky for them it creates ANOTHER problem (shingles) that they then get to make ANOTHER product for and make more money. Really this isn't that difficult to see.

Now earlier I wrote that I think the medical community really is looking out for us and trying to keep us healthy, the drug companies are a different story. They are just like news stations, t.v. shows, movies, restaurants, car dealerships, Wal-Mart, Target, any other store. THEY SELL THINGS TO MAKE MONEY. The more they sell; the more they make. Therefore, the more drugs they can sell and get us to ingest; the more money they make. We all know how attacked McDonald's has been recently, also thinking back a decade, the cigarette companies. Now why are drug companies any better? How have they really helped us? By creating an epidemic of sick people? By giving us a "slide" on being responsible for our own health and allowing people to be lazy, gain 100lbs, never eat a vegetable in their life and STILL have low blood pressure? Ugh..

So someone explain this situation to me? Why again am I entrusting my son to people whose aim is to make money? Because ultimately that is what it comes down to. Our species has survived disease (somehow...because apparently modern medicine is the only way we can survive beyond today) for thousands of years. I'll take my odds in listening to our ancestors and doing it their way...

But in the present, how do you judge whether its worth it to vaccinate? Please comment..

P.S. here is a statistic on Autism...
Since the 80's: In the late 1980's, 4 to 5 in every 10,000 children were thought to be afflicted...Now, for 2009, according to the CDC an average of 1 in 110 have a diagnosis on the autism scale. Now our genetics haven't changed that much in 2000 years, why would they change in 30? And a whole nations eating habits couldn't have changed that much either....but something almost every child received did...the number of vaccinations...think about it...just a little...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/01/health/01AUTI.html
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html

3 comments:

  1. Cousin

    I am in favor of the basic remedies in regards to vaccinations. I do agree it seems silly to vaccinate against the chicken pox. While many contend that the rise in autism is a direct result of vaccines - to which I have not done enough research to voice an opinion one way or the other - I do recall hearing a report that a element used to stablize vaccines was removed recently.

    All of my kids have been vaccinated - 4 in all - and I was too. Have not witnessed any autism or side effects to vaccinations. As we saw with the H1N1 scare, those who had not been previously exposed to it were in greater danger than those who had been. Thus can be said for mumps, measels, and other elements that covered under vaccinations. What would happen if a new strain of these diseases came about in the future? Now I understand that fear of the future is not a good reason to do anything but it warrants consideration.

    In the end, vaccinate the kid with the exception of chicken pox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby! As we are getting ready for our own baby I know these issues will come up for us soon too. It's such a tough issue and people are really divided. Ultimately I recommend doing lots and lots of research, and make sure you have an open mind to both sides of the debate. I would recommend an article that either Time or Newsweek (I always mix them up)if you can find it; it ran in the past year or two and was about the vaccination/autism debate---it was excellent. I am all for vaccinations and personally believe the spike in autism rates have more to do with the fact that it was underdiagnosed back then (and in fact still is), and kids are spending more time in front of TVs and computers. On the other hand, when you hear stories of parents whose child's behavior changes immediately after receiving a certain round of vaccinations, it's hard to ignore the timing of the two events. So! I respect every parent's decision even if it is different from my own. We all want our kids to be healthy and happy. Get a second, third, fourth opinion until you feel sure of your decision.

    ~Sigma Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby! Firstly, fantastic idea with the blog. I have been toying with the idea of writing a narrative memoir about my homebirth experience and etc., but a blog is just as great!

    Secondly, kudos on the DONA certification! Women need women to support them in natural birth approaches and choices. DONA is an amazing opportunity to do so. I've looked into it myself, and yet again, have yet to make any real moves in that direction. I'm hoping to finish my acupucture schooling, certification, using this education as a tool to educate and treat pregnant women and mothers.

    And thirdly, great blog on the vaccine debate. Such a hard topic to discuss with die-hard western medicine minded individuals. Vaccines are neither proven 100% safe, nor 100% effective. There are yet to be randomized, placebo-based, double-blind, long term studies that indicate the latter (not to mention studies that are free from big pharma dollars). I've read, read, read, and reread both sides. In my opinion and experience, saying no to vaccines during the greatest neurological development of my son's life aka birth to 2 years of age is neither hard or self-seeking.

    Did you decide to vaccinate? Tytus is 5 1/2 months, born at home with an experienced midwife, and vaccine free. He's healthy as a horse!

    Hope all is well in the life of the Reilly's! Thank you for the blogspot!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you are thinking and to know that you have visited! Please leave comments since it's knowing that people have been here that keeps me motivated to make updates! :) THANKS!