Labor Day Weekend 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Surrounded by Cancer

We all can agree that CANCER SUCKS. There are seriously no good sides to the equation when a cancer diagnosis is made.  There are "well that's better than..." scenarios, I'll give it that much.  But after losing Annie in April I honestly thought that was going to be the only cancer to touch my life.  Or at least for now.

This past week TWO of our friends underwent surgeries similar to the one Annie had two years ago for tumors. One was identical in that it was exploratory and a bit dangerous since they didn't know where the tumor was getting it's blood supply.  The other was a tennis-ball sized (can you imagine?) tumor removed from a lymph node.  That friend is now diagnosed as having lymphoma.  Scary.

All three of these girls are friends from Gustavus, and all are friends (good...no great friends) with each other.  Two were roommates.  We all knew St. Peter's water was a bit sketchy...but really?? (just kidding there folks...no need to sound an alarm).

But in all honesty I really thought Annie was it.  She was my link to the cancer community.  Now, my link is three times stronger than before and my desire to change so much of this is stronger too. I was talking with my older sister Anna yesterday and planning our Relay-for-Life event (ONE WEEK PEOPLE! IN ONE WEEK!!) and the best I could explain my emotions was "I'm so excited my hands are sweating".  And they were!

I think these events are so amazing.  We did them at Gustavus and I'm so looking forward to doing it again.  The support, love, and understanding everyone shows and is able to experience at a Relay is truly awesome.

So here is my plug again:  Relay for Life -- Chippewa Falls, WI -- July 30th-31st -- Click to DONATE or JOIN.  We still need walkers for the relay so if you can make it out PLEASE consider it!

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY10MW?px=17273993&pg=personal&fr_id=23126

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you are thinking and to know that you have visited! Please leave comments since it's knowing that people have been here that keeps me motivated to make updates! :) THANKS!