Labor Day Weekend 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Marathon - Here I come!

Okay, Okay...that title may be misleading.  I am not running a marathon or in any kind of marthon-ic life-symbolic race.  But I did join and start a Mom's on the Run group! Tonight was my second session and for the second time I've been extremely pleased with the way my body has handled these interval-type runs.  We cover roughly 4 miles in just over 30 minutes by doing sets of fast runs and then medium jogs.   It has been a great reminder of how much I love (and miss) being in shape and working out and particularly...running!

I've been fortunate enough to at least play hockey on Friday nights throughout much of the year; however, I don't always work as hard as I should.  It's probably because I take my ability to skate for granted...it's hard though when I literally have more grace and balance on a pair of skates on than in my tennis shoes..haha.  But seriously now, it really comes down to my fear of becoming sick again.  I'm not even sure if I've ever blogged about my battle with asthma, but seriously, its frustrating, annoying, scary and did I mention annoying?

I try not to make it the center of my life, but it (my asthma) has a way of pushing its way to center-stage whenever it feels ignored (through the lovely -thats a lie- thing called walking pneumonia).  This is especially true when I decide my body is able to perform and function physical tasks such as skating at sprint speeds or running. However, over the past four months I've been making changes.  I've changed medications (boo...someone invent a cure already! and not one that includes me never eating ice cream again..); changed eating habits (always a work in progress); changed supplements; changed my adjustment schedules (I've been adjusted more these past few months than many of you have ever in your life...that is, if you've ever actually been adjusted); changed mentalities; changed behaviors and changed schedules.  So you can see, I'm working.  I want to run, I want to race and I want to compete again.

And this Mom's on the Run (MOTR from here on out) is my gateway to that.  I already feel more on track and hope that by the end of this summer, running has once again become part of my daily life.  I miss my long jogs and the races I competed in a few years ago.  I really need to do another MUDDY BUDDIES race and I keep hearing about the Warrior Dash.  I'd love to actually place in my age/gender group in a race and heck, why not add a marathon (there I said it!) to my bucket list (maybe...later..haha).  Okay, at least a half marathon (I've at least done one of those before).

But I feel that I'm on my way, and its exciting.  A new (but old somehow) adventure.  I'll try to remember to update on this down the road...

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you are thinking and to know that you have visited! Please leave comments since it's knowing that people have been here that keeps me motivated to make updates! :) THANKS!