Labor Day Weekend 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chippewa Valley Doula Services -- Updates

So it's been a while since I've done an update on my progress in becoming a Birth Doula.  So here is what I've accomplished.

I've managed to read, and read, and read A LOT of books.  I've finished close to 10 books about birth, pregnancy, the history of birth, breastfeeding, labor, support and the like.  All thanks to the local library! I'm currently working on a La Leche League, Bradley technique, and Lamaze technique books.  I figured it'd be good to know the "basic" stuff that everyone seems to talk about, so I checked out the originals.

I've also now become a member of the DONA International, Inc. group.  They are the group I will be getting my certification from and being a member is obviously part of that.  I also now have my "packet" that needs to get completed.  Getting that was helpful simply because it is an organized, one-stop place, to know where I stand in terms of completing my requirements.

During May I was able to finally attend all of the Mom's groups in Eau Claire that are held monthly.

Mother's Tea is hosted by a local female chiropractor from Broghan's group, Stucky Chiropractic, offering a break during the month for moms to get together to chat about holistic options. It's a nice gathering that doesn't have a specific agenda other than to meet other moms with similar attitudes.

Then there was the La Leche League meeting. So awesome to be surrounded by other moms who breastfeed!  Sometimes, not being around other moms, I feel alone in this endeavor to exclusively breastfeed until table foods, skipping spoon feeding, and not weening until Keller decides he's ready.  It's always nice to be reminded that just because social pressure is there, doesn't mean I'm crazy for not succumbing to it.

Finally, there was the Holistic Mom's Network meeting.  Talk about feeling at home.  I found a group of women who just made so much sense! (to me anyways).  Again, I had tingles at how comfortable I felt being surrounded by like-minded moms.  This meeting was especially awesome and I learned a lot of cool new things because I was introduced to essential oils.  Everyone has kind of heard of them "lavender oil", "clove oil", "peppermint oil" but I never realized how many things they can be used for.  Lately, I've been using a mix of clove and olive oils to sooth Keller's gums due to his teething.  Awesome!

Beyond learning and going to meetings, I have made substantial progress on my website.  I don't think I've posted the link on here yet but here it is:

www.cvds.weebly.com

Feel free to check it out.  It's not perfect or complete (the new client paperwork is not there and there are some "language" things I want to revise) but it's close.

Along those lines I've ordered business cards that match the website (I've got to match of course ;) ).  I'm especially excited to have these so that I can begin spreading my wings and venter into local businesses to introduce myself and hopefully find clientèle.  :)

All in all, it's very exciting to be doing this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you are thinking and to know that you have visited! Please leave comments since it's knowing that people have been here that keeps me motivated to make updates! :) THANKS!