Labor Day Weekend 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The ugly side of breastfeeding.

Okay I realize that most of the time when I talk about nursing its all sunshine and flowers talk, but I suppose if the hard parts aren't talked about then new mom's trying it out will think it's just them that struggle.

As we come upon Lucy's 1 month marker, I'm looking forward to nursing getting easier soon.  I had convinced myself that since she wasn't a preemie like Keller and that her initial latching had been good that this was going to be a breeze....but really, no cool drafts over here.

Our problem isn't as often talked about either.  I don't have sore nipples, she does latch correctly, and I do produce enough.  In fact, I produce too much. And even though they are small, apparently my boobies are too strong!  There is a thing with nursing called "let down".  When a baby starts nursing, they get more watery, thinner milk to start with and then its kind of like opening the flood gates and the heavier, more fat dense milk gets going.  Probably your bodies attempt to not be constantly leaking milk.  Anyways, combine an overabundance of milk with a strong let down and my little girl gags, chokes, and struggles through most nursing sessions.  In all honesty, I think I'd be able to handle this part in and of itself.  She gets enough milk and even though I seriously dislike (but understand) when she pulls off and milk is being sprayed all over and I get soaked and she gets soaked OR seeing her gasp for air because she's almost aspirated her milk, I think I'd be okay since I know that part will get better as she gets bigger.  However, the worst part of it all is the aftermath.  Nothing gross don't worry there. Just gas and air bubbles.  This child seriously seems to have the most painful and difficult burps.  We get to listen to her scream and fuss for far too long simply because she has to burp!  Seriously, Keller used to get turned up-right after nursing and he'd belch almost instantaneously. Lucy, my little lady, can be patted, jostled, bounced, turned this way and that, and they just don't come.  Then when they do, it sounds like a grown man's burp! LOTS of air!

When I read up on "over lactation", this was one of the very few issues associated with it so I'm aware that it's probably due to my milk supply issues.  And since she is gulping so much and needing to take so many breaks, a lot of air is getting into her tummy. :/.  SO not fun.  Especially at 2:30 in the morning (like last night!).

All in all I'm somewhat at a loss.  I've been doing a lot of pumping lately and bottle feeding (which I know is okay).  She seems to be happier and obviously not as upset at eating times.  Don't get me wrong, I like nursing her, I just hate to see her struggle and it almost doesn't seem worth it to keep putting her through it all.  I know I'm going to keep at it and keep giving her opportunities to nurse instead of bottle feed, and I know that in a month from now her mouth will be larger and more able to accommodate my overflow....but knowing all of that doesn't fix the problem for today.  Thank God for pumps though.  It looks like me and my big blue case are going to BFF's again this time around!

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried holding her belly down under her body like a football hold and rubbing the whole length of her back vigorously? That always worked for ainsley who had terrible post nursing gas and reflux issues. And you'll regulate soon and she'll get just what she needs. Good for you for powering through. I think it's always tough in the beginning but you're doing great and giving your daughter such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job Abby! I hope things get better very soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you are thinking and to know that you have visited! Please leave comments since it's knowing that people have been here that keeps me motivated to make updates! :) THANKS!