Labor Day Weekend 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

Monday, May 2, 2011

Little victories.

It is funny how there are moments (like right now) where I get a rush of pride in being a mom/housewife.  It seriously catches me off-guard because I think most of the time (for most of us) it doesn't feel that way.

I'm going to be redundant with something that most everyone is aware of.  Mothering and what I'll just term 'wife-ering' are two very important roles.  They incorporate a wide variety of fun, not so fun, easy, hard, and plain old boring tasks.  The job descriptions are longer than anyone can actually write down, simply because once you've finished or gotten to a point where you think you've gotten everything down...something new pops up.  However, for multiple reasons I'm sure, these two tasks are never actually treated that way.  People don't revere moms and wives like they do someone who is a CEO of some business and they don't look at us, with our half-a**ed make up job, messy hair-do's and dirty jeans looks with the same admiration as the VS models.  (damn..)

Add to the mix that I definitely did not go to college for a Bachelors of the Arts in Motherhood or Wifery.  Granted, I did take a parenting class for a J-term one year.  But seriously, I graduated college with my BA in Psychology and did what every other person who graduated with my degree did...panicked and then looked into grad. school.  Assuming that two more years of stuff and I'd be able to start a career.

It seems a little wasteful now.  But I know I would be no where near as good a parent or partner if I hadn't gone and finished or even done my one year of grad school.  And I do have hopes of completing the graduate level stuff later...so I suppose its not a waste but you get what I mean.

So anyways, my point is, these moments of pride in my 'job' doesn't come quite as often as I'd hope.  But that is how I feel right now.  I'm proud. :).  And it really caught me off guard because of the way today started.

Lets just say, mom getting a good night's sleep was low on the priority list for Keller and Lucy last night.  Making the task of just waking up this morning pretty tricky.  We were successful though at getting a nap in and getting out the door in time for Keller's speech therapy session.  We also had a successful trip to the grocery store.  And currently, both little ones are back to napping and the house is almost put back together.  I'm sure it'll get there just in time to be destroyed again tomorrow, but at least when I lay my head down tonight (it will happen at some point), I can breathe a little easier knowing that my sheets are clean, the clothes and dishes are done, and we have food for the week. Ahh..the simple little joys in life!

Now if only I wasn't nursing I could celebrate with an awesome bottle..I mean glass of pinot noir :) mmm mm good!  (and yes, I realize I could just pump...but blegh...that takes too much effort right now to do that!)

2 comments:

  1. i love this post for so many reasons. it's true that being a mom and a wife are very hard jobs and the prideful moments are far and few between it seems. But I definitely bask in them when they happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing because I just made a bunch of phone calls that I was dreading while tending to Louise while ainsley naps and feel SO accomplished...it's a rough job sometimes, but someone's got to do it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you are thinking and to know that you have visited! Please leave comments since it's knowing that people have been here that keeps me motivated to make updates! :) THANKS!