Labor Day Weekend 2015

Labor Day Weekend 2015

Monday, April 25, 2011

The first week with a family of FOUR!

Well here we are. Day 6. Ahh.  Today is the first day (mostly) that Broghan & I have been alone as a family of four and I think we're getting the hang of it.  We've had an overwhelming amount of support from our parents and immediate families and the people in Eau Claire that I'm fortunate enough to call my friends have been ridiculously generous in delivering ready-to-go meals.  Seriously, the lists of people I feel thanks towards is incredibly long!

As for little Lucy Ann, she is doing really well.  Our midwife has been back twice since the birth to check on me and the little one.  At 24 hrs. she had gone from 6lbs. 1 oz to 5 lbs. 13 oz, which is normal.  At 72 hrs. she was up to 5lbs 15 oz. so gaining :).  My milk came in on day 2 1/2 so we're pretty fortunate not having to wait for that and she is an eating machine!  I mean, I realize with Keller I was not only pumping every 2-3 hours but also being with him during his feedings at this point, but this seriously has felt like ALL the time.  Typical for a newborn I suppose.

Speaking of typical new born, I always find it somewhat hilarious when people ask if she's sleeping through the night.  I mean seriously?  She's been out of my womb for less than 7 days and you expect her to know day & night and to be on a sleep schedule?! She does sleep, a lot, but in small spurts and apparently still thinks "wakeful time" should be between 1AM and 5AM.  She's a new born and on her own time schedule people! just as she should be.

Along those lines, I really think Keller prepared me well.  It's hard to remember back to just a year ago, but I can recall being up ALL night and in and out of bed and responding to his wakings.  I think the slow process into a sleep routine makes you forget how much work it is in the beginning.  Just to think that in a year from now I might actually get a full nights sleep ;)...ahh...

Moving onto the Keller front he's been handling the transition into a four person household pretty well.  There hasn't been too much rebelling from his norm, but I think that has been because he's had someone here this whole week to give him attention.  Broghan's mom was able to stay all week and I can't even begin to imagine where the house, me, Lucy, Keller, Broghan or even Marvin would be if she hadn't.  I was literally incapacitated for three days and moving as slow as a bean these last four.

Our biggest hurdle with him has just been sleep (as always).  He's been getting less sleep than usually and I think a little combative and cranky because of it.  Hopefully in week 2, we'll be able to do some catch-up and he'll be back to normal.

I'm hoping to have time through the days to keep this blog up since these first few weeks/months always fly by  and its nice to have it written down.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you are thinking and to know that you have visited! Please leave comments since it's knowing that people have been here that keeps me motivated to make updates! :) THANKS!